Tang-gam (탕감 蕩減)
"Forgiveness" is the main theme of the entire Bible. It is translated as "Tang-gam"(탕감 蕩減 Sino-Korean vocabulary) in several places in the Korean version. It is frequently quoted in the sermons of the Christian Church in Korea. Also, it is often seen in Korean media.
- Original meaning
- In the Bible it means forgiveness of sins, and in financial terms, it means debt reduction or exemption.
「주님은 우리가 죄인이었을 때에, 하나님과 원수 되어서 용서 받을 자격과 능력이 없을 때에 그 크신 사랑으로 우리 믿는 자들의 죄를 탕감(tang-gam)해 주셨고」
"When we are sinners, enemies of God, and not qualified to be forgiven, he has forgiven(tang-gam) our sins with that great love. "
「앞서 정부는 문 대통령 공약대로 1000만원 이하 장기 소액 연체자의 빚을 전액 탕감(tang-gam)줬다.」
"As promised, President Moon Jae-in forgave(tang-gam) all long-term small debts of less than 10 million won."
- Divine Principle term
- Sun-Myung Moon explained the definition of "tang-gam" as follows.
"The meaning of tang-gam is forgiving a large amount of debt under small conditions".
"God always sets small conditions (less than total debt) so that everyone has the opportunity to receive salvation."
”Tang-gam is to settle on the condition of a certain sacrifice.'Condition of tang-gam(forgiveness)' is a thankful amnesty to us. Because 95% is God's responsibility and 5% is human responsibility."
"Don't assume that the responsibility we have is heavy. We must know that God has already done more than 95% of the hardships for us to share the responsibility of 5%. "
- Sang-Hun Lee, the director of the Institute for Unification Thought, wrote in his article that "tang-gam" means "forgiveness" and its origin is in the "Parable of the Unforgiving Servant(Matthew 18: 21–35)" in the Bible.
"그 종의 주인이 불쌍히 여겨 놓아 보내며 그 빚을 탕감(tang-gam)하여 주었다"
"The lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave(tang-gam) him the debt."
- He wrote, "If a sinner wants to take off his sins and become an innocent person, he must receive the forgiveness of his sins from God. Because humans have made God sad by the fall. A sinner cannot be forgiven by God unless he meets certain conditions." The only record in the Unification Church that accurately says the meaning of "Tang-gam" is Sang-Hun Lee, except for Sun-myung Moon.
- Exposition of the Divine Principle
- "Tang-gam" is the core word of "Exposition of Divine Principle part Ⅱ" in the Korean version. However, for some reason, the word "forgiveness" does not appear in any place in the English version. The reason is that Hyo-won Yoo did not know the meaning of "tang-gam" and defined it as "compensation", which won-pok Choi translated as "indemnity".
- After reading this, Dong-Jun Kim, Professor Emeritus of Kanda University of International Studies, said, "This is a complete mistake. The meaning of tang-gam is forgiveness, not indemnity."
In short, tang-gam has been translated into the opposite sense, from "forgiveness by God" to "indemnity by sinners".It also shows that the author and translator were not familiar with Sino-Korean vocabulary, and they have never read the Bible properly and have not attended a Formal Christian church.
- "Tang-gam" is most often used within the Unification Church to mean "indemnity" that Japan should pay to Korea. The reason is that Korea is the birthplace of the Immaculate Conception of the Second Coming Christ (Sun Myung Moon, now he is denied and his wife Hak Ja Han Moon), and Japan is the country that persecuted Korea the most. That's what makes the church members believe. But the fact is Japan is the only country that supports the Unification Church economically and in terms of human resources.
- ^ A new Korean word created from Chinese characters even in Sino-Korean vocabulary
- ^ Nehemiah10:31, Matthew18:27, Matthew18:32, Luke7:42, Luke7:43
- ^ 다국어 성경 Holy-Bible "탕감"
- ^ Google search"그리스도 탕감"
- ^ Google search"탕감"
- ^ Naver Korean-English Dictionary
- ^ Weekly good news / Korea
- ^ JoongAng Ilbo / Korea
- ^ https://blog.goo.ne.jp/divine_principle/e/3c8656c60706e75e771d5e2a8774400e June 4, 1967 Sermon "The Road to tang-gam"]
- ^ February 10, 1981 Sermon "History of providence for salvation by tang-gam"
- ^ "Rev. Sun-Myung Moon Collection Vol. 29" P.335
- ^ "The way of the will (御旨之道)P.158"
- ^ Sang-Hun Lee is known to have been entrusted with the writing of "The Principle", which is the final version of the "Divine Principle" systematization by Sun-Myung Moon.
- ^ "Unification Nation Historical view "Monthly "Family May 1993" Kogensha version
- ^ 原理講論 後編 第1章1節 蕩減復帰原理
- ^ Divine Principle Part II Section 1 1.1 Restoration through Indemnity
- ^ Kenji Nomura, Adviser of the Institute of Unification Thought, "University and Ideals, April 1983" Kogensha Edition
- ^ When Sun-Myung Moon says "tang-gam," 99% is an abbreviation for ① "Principle of Restoration through tang-gam (蕩減復帰原理)",② " Restoration through tang-gam (蕩減復帰)",③ "Condition of tang-gam (蕩減条件)" ,④ "Complete the condition of tang-gam. (蕩減条件 을 세우 는것)".The original meaning of "tang-gam(蕩減)" is less than 1%."Tang-gam has multiple meanings (Rev. Sun-Myung Moon's slang)"
- ^ Hyo-won Yoo's Christian background is only eight months of Latin Catholic Bible reading. "Anguish and the Path of Inquiry by Dr. Hyo-won Yoo"
- ^ The first English translation of Wolli Kangron was made by Mrs. Won Pok Choi in 1972
- ^ Mrs.Choi apologetically reported that her work was accomplished in haste during a 40-day period in which she could work on the project only during the late night hours. The first edition was printed in limited numbers.
- ^ Dong-Jun Kim is an authority of Korean language education in Japan.
- ^ "We asked Professor Dong-Jun Kim about the meaning of tang-gam."
- ^ "Tang-gam: Professor Dong-Jun Kim translates Exposition of the Divine Principle lecture."
- ^ The authors and translators of "Exposition of the Divine Principle" lack basic knowledge of Chinese characters and Christianity
- ^ Aritsune Toyota, "Why Korea Can't Revive Chinese characters," P3, Lines 8-11
- ^ They don’t know the basic words of Christianity. For example,they misidentify "蕩減(forgiveness)" as "indemnity", "受肉(incarnation)" as "血肉化(becoming blood and flesh)," and "体恤(compassion)" as "experience."
- ^ Opponent criticism of "tang-gam"
- ^ "The doctrine is that Japan has an obligation of'Tang-gam'(atonement) to Korea, which is colonized by Japan, and Japan must make a tribute as an'Eva state'."RIRC (Religious Information Research Center) Shoichi Fujita P.12
- ^ Unification Church / Latin America Hoarding Land <Part 2>